Monday, March 31, 2008
Unchurch friend 3 ( Eye opener)
AS I finish up my last and final un-churched friend blog I realized that everyone that I talked to so far about their lives and what they would like in a church to do three things came up. One they wanted a church that accepted them for who they were and felt like they didn’t have to change even before they went into church. Two, they wanted a place that was willing to see them through it all and be a helper in their community. Third, they wanted a place that was real not just the church in general but as the people in it. They wanted to see the people in the church as the same outside the church. The last person that I talked to was a friend that I meet some weeks ago at work. He never went to church as a kid because his parent didn’t want to wake up in the morning. Church was something that seemed like an obligation to him among his friend that was Christian only on Sundays. I asked him what he would want in a church if he would ever consider go to church on Sunday. He told me a place that doesn’t meet on Sunday morning but a better day and night time. He also says everything else that the other two said about the church. He wanted to know someone from the church. He said that he would go if someone like one of his friend invited him to go. But no one has invited him to go. So I did. He came to church with me. And he might come back. But he helped me to see that a lot of our friends are looking for a place to go, but no one has invited them to go. Maybe as Christian we need to see that people feel welcomer when they are invited to a place like a church from someone that they knew. But I feel that most Christians are afraid to being them to church because of their image. We need to step outside that box and become friends with people but invite them and not hope that they will come one day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment